Saturday, June 23, 2007

Bjork/Dylan/Sopranos/Almodovar


Nick and I have discussed the 'mission' of MYO. One of the purposes of a youth orchestra is to teach the classical repertoire. But we feel that our program should address more than that. I think it is important that at least some of what the students do is accessible to their peers. We need to create some performances that friends are eager to attend.

Good point from Greg Sandow:

We in classical music badly need to know what the Bjork/Dylan/Sopranos/Almodovar audience thinks about classical concerts. Note that I'm not saying classical concerts are, in themselves, bad or good, as presently presented. Even [though] I don't care for them (along, I might add, with many younger classical musicians), that's not an absolute value judgment. Just a personal preference. And in any case I've spent most of my professional life in the classical music world, and gotten a world of joy out of it.

In its most basic form, this is a matter of numbers. The mainstream classical music world isn't sustaining itself. The alternative classical music world (string quartets in clubs, Bang on a Can, all the things Molly goes to) has never sustained itself. Financially, I mean. These worlds, to sustain themselves, will need more audience. The potential audience is, as far as anyone can see, made up of people with -- generally speaking -- the culture I've described. So their cultural preferences, and how these differ from the culture classical music offers, are something it's crucial for classical music people to understand, if classical music is going to survive.

No comments: