Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Excuses

From Violent Acres:
Excuses drive me mad simply because I can’t stand to listen to you people insult yourselves. That’s exactly what you’re doing when you make excuses, too; make no mistake about it. Every time you whine about your lack of time or resources or what... ever, what you are really saying is, “I’m not organized enough or smart enough or creative enough or ambitious enough or determined enough to accomplish my goals.”

Last night I watched "What the Bleep Do We Know?" (Thanks, Lauren!) I know some of the science is questionable, but the message is still valid. We make our own world, choose our own lives. I realized that, while I may have doubts about my abilities or what will happen today, I do not have any doubts that Scrollworks will be a success. It's too obviously the a good thing, the perfect thing for Birmingham. And I know it will go beyond Birmingham.

Last night I heard an interview with a woman who, in her 40s, gave up a good job to pursue a career as a jazz singer. She said that while she pondered the change, her brother kept urging her, "Jump, the net will appear!"

I believe it.

So, come on and hold our hands while we all jump. The net will appear.

No comments: