Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Let them go. We'll make more.

The hardest part of this endeavor is the sharp roller coaster of emotions. Shooting up to the crest, followed by a swift drop down twists the insides with something not quite motion sickness multiple times a day.

I started out the day by discovering Armani's video of the Barrage rehearsal. That was a delightful lift up.

I was preparing the video camera for his mom to use to record Armani's cello performance at his school's PTO meeting tonight. Scrollworks made this performance possible! (Crest approaching.)

Later today we learned that many of our orchestra members are being recruited by the Alabama Youth Symphony with promises of a more complete orchestra, more challenging music and, I'm sure, other enticements. Sadly, we are losing some to this siren song. MYO is all about the students, so we don't mind the switch if AYS will better serve their needs. In fact, we encourage it. What bothers me is that I sincerely thought these young people and their families believed in our mission and were willing to work with us toward achieving the organization's goal of bringing our community together through music. (Swoop into the trough.)

The roller coaster started back up when I began editing today's photos from the wind classes at Hill Elementary. What a joy to watch these children grow, mature, and learn to play an instrument. Their smiles and the twinkle in their eyes is what really matters. LaTavia got to take a flute-o-phone home. Lawrence dropped his saxophone 3 times. I don't think he'll get to take an instrument home for a LONG time, but maybe he'll surprise me. Others have!

And we'll keep giving Tequila chances, too. She is so totally NOT into learning the clarinet, but persists due to peer pressure. Imagine that: peer pressure to learn an instrument. I'll put up with a few clarinets twirled like a baton if I can generate a bit more of that!

Janiya is beautiful, and knows full well how to use her pretty pout to get her way. I've doubted whether we could get past the pout to accomplish any learning. Today Janiya played half a scale on the trumpet--the most notes I've heard from any wind instrument so far. Dwight praised her and I gave her a thumbs up. She visibly held herself straighter and had that same secret smile that Donovan had a few weeks ago, not being used to attention for this reason.

Let them go to AYS. We'll make more. There are enough talented children in our city to populate a dozen youth orchestras. Scrollworks' destiny is to find them, teach them and reach them.

No comments: