Saturday, October 4, 2008

'We can all do small things with great love'

From Stacey Monk at Epic Change:
I once read a quote by Mother Teresa who wrote:

“What I do you cannot do; but what you do, I cannot do. The needs are great, and none of us, including me, ever do great things. But we can all do small things, with great love, and together we can do something wonderful.”

Yesterday MYO board member Mary Lee Rice taught piano at Cave9. Her first student was Drelion. I've written about him before. He's often banned for antics like spitting coffee on people walking in the door and hitting my car with a chain. He always apologizes and is readmitted. Mary Lee worked with him for a good 30 minutes and then later for another lesson. It's rare to get Dreli to sit still for even 5 minutes let alone focus on a lesson, although when he does he shows aptitude.

As we loaded out, all of us were stunned by the sight of tiny Drelion hauling load after load of instruments to the curb. He even tried to pack up the food and my 'office' crate. Jimmy insisted that Mary Lee must come back to teach because there are others who need her magic touch!

Janet Lewis brought Jonathan right at 3 for his violin lesson. Since she can teach beginning violin, I was so glad to see her. I was headed to the office for a second load of instruments and didn't want to leave Jimmy alone with the Friday crowd. Janet's mother, Jenny, has been helping us with PR for Barrage this week. We are so grateful for this family's very active support.

When I arrived with the drum set, cellos, and printer, I found Janet getting a violin lesson from Anne Donaldson. Anne is a second violinist with the Alabama Symphony Orchestra--and the first ASO member to come to our lessons at Cave9. She promised to come teach when she can.

No comments: